Welcome to Good Night's Rest
Your ultimate resource for all things sleep. You can explore our reviews on mattresses, sleep aids and more. Or you if you're generally looking to improve your sleep, we've created sleep guides ranging from meditation to music playlists.I Want to Sleep Better
Pros of Good Sleep
Positive Physical Health Cycle
- Associated with a longer life span and better quality of life.
- Improves athletic and overall physical performance.
- Increases the human body's physical pain threshold.
- Supports overall health by boosting metabolism and immune system functions.
- Aids in the prevention of vascular (heart) diseases.
Positive Mental Health Cycle
- Strengthens memory and alertness, improving focus and the ability to learn.
- Boosts abstract thinking, creativity and problem-solving.
- Contributes to mental and emotional stability.
- Lowers stress and improves overall mood.
Cons of Bad Sleep
Negative Physical Health Cycle
- Increases appetite and stimulates cravings for food high in carbohydrates and fat.
- Triggers the inflammatory response of the body's immune system.
- Complications can lead to diabetes, obesity heart disease, rheumatoid arthritis, etc.
- May give rise chronic pain and sleep disorders like insomnia and sleep apnea.
Negative Mental Health Cycle
- Can cause mental fatigue and forgetfulness, as well as difficulty concentrating.
- Leads to crankiness, irritability, lack of energy and loss of motivation.
- May result in keeping an irregular schedule, hampering social interactions.
- Increases risk of mental disorders such as anxiety and depression, and vice versa.
The Importance of a Good Sleep Environment How to Set Up a Bedroom
- Darkness or night light
(warm red or orange hue)
- Sleep mask
- Smaller/directional lights (ex: lamps vs. overhead)
- Blackout curtains (works as sound blockers, too)
- Carpets, rugs, plush furniture and accessories
- White noise machine
- Earplugs or sleep headphones
- Acoustic panels, or shelves against a shared wall
- Air purifier or aromatherapy diffuser
- Furniture with rounded corners
- Bedroom plants
- Cool colors (blue, green) for walls, bedding, etc.
- Separate bedding or even mattresses
- Nightstands of appropriate height with clean surface
- Personal and significant items (photos, mementos)
- Pets in bedroom but in separate pet bed.
- Cuddling and cozying up
- Proper sleeping clothes (or sleeping nude, though subjective)
How Not to Set Up a Bedroom
- Night light
(cool white or blue hue)
- Screens (TV, smartphone, tablet, computer)
- Appliances with digital displays (alarm clock, etc.)
- Translucent curtains covering windows
- Entertainment systems (stereo, gaming console)
- Bare floor (tile, hardwood, glass, etc.)
- Food, drink, plates, cups
- Too much or disproportionately large furniture
- Open window
- Clutter and mess (attracts dust and holds smells)
- Warm colors (red, purple) for walls, bedding, etc
- Too many pillows and unneeded sheets
- Hanging ceiling fixture exactly over bed (plant, lighting, etc.)
- Any work- or hobby- related items
- Pets on bed
- Fights and emotionally charged talks
- Snoring sleeping partner! (haha)
Factors that Affect Sleep
DarknessNatural darkness at night induces sleep, while natural light in the morning invites alertness and a willingness to get up and out of bed.
LightArtificial light impairs your eyes’ innate ability to recognize daytime and nighttime, which can make it difficult for you to follow a natural sleep pattern.
TimeCrossing into a new time zone while traveling leads to jet lag, which is your internal body clock being temporarily out of sync with your local surroundings.
PlaceWorking night shifts require your sleep patterns to be routinely out of sync with not just natural darkness and light, but also family and friends keeping regular hours.
Physical ConditionChronic physical discomfort and pain caused by conditions like acid reflux, arthritis, premenstrual syndrome and others can disrupt sleep throughout the night.
Mental HealthAnxiety, depression and other mental health issues can prevent you from completely relaxing; so bedtime can be a problem, and restful deep sleep hard to achieve.
FoodHeavy meals, especially if spicy or fatty, take more work to digest. This keeps you from relaxing and makes it hard to fall asleep.
DrinkAlcohol intake may initially help you sleep, but it increases night awakenings and decreases sleep quality. Even drinking too much water right before going to bed can have you waking up to go to the bathroom multiple times.
MedicationsMedications for various conditions---from headaches to high blood pressure, even depression and ADHD---come with side effects that can disrupt your sleep cycle.
"Other" SubstancesStimulants like caffeine and nicotine should be avoided close to bedtime.
WorkComputers, smartphones and work-related materials in the bedroom will distract you from the prime purposes of your sacred space: sex and sleep.
StressStress induces the secretion of cortisol, which increases alertness; therefore, physical and mental stressors---from strenuous exercise to emotional confrontations---should be avoided right before bed.
RoutineA set of relaxing habits can condition you to look forward to sleep. A pre-sleep routine may include taking a bath, reading a book, writing in a diary and even meditation.
ConsistencyKeeping a consistent schedule, even during weekends, is the key to better sleep health. This keeps your internal body clock in check and helps you avoid sleep hangovers.
Our Favorite Products to Help You Sleep
Other Sleep Guides and Resources We Think You'll Like
Mellanni 1800 Collection Bed Sheet Set Review
This sheet set's price tag and online reputation seems too good to be true. Do you get what you pay for or is this a great find? See what we think in this review.
California Design Den Everyday Series Sheet Set Review
Looking for a wide selection of colors and prints for a comfortable price point? Check out these sheets from California Design Den.
Grund America Savannah Sheet Set Review
With bed sheets, more often than not, you get what you pay for. Check out what Grund America's sheet set has to offer.
Recent Articles About Sleep
Thread Count FAQ: All You Need to Know
Got your eye on a 1200 thread count sheet set on sale? Read this article before adding it to your cart.
What Are the Best Nootropics for Improving Sleep Health?
What are nootropics? How do they work? Let's learn all about these cognitive enhancement supplements together and find out how they can improve sleep health.