- What’s in 88Herbs Sleep-X?
- What’s the Suggested Dosage of 88Herbs Sleep-X?
- What Are the Side Effects of 88Herbs Sleep-X?
- Does 88Herbs Sleep-X Come with a Return Policy or Guarantee?
- How Much Does 88Herbs Sleep-X Cost?
- Final Words on 88Herbs Sleep-X
Sleep-X maker 88Herbs is owned by BB&G Health, a Canadian corporation headquartered in Ontario. Unlike Vancouver-based Nested Naturals, which does product design in their locale but manufactures in the US, BB&G Health does everything in Canada. Established in 2013, 88Herbs is their sole brand line.
Apart from Sleep-X, there are six other dietary supplements under 88Herbs: Ashwagandha, L-Theanine, Magnesium Bisglycinate, Rhodiola Rosea, 5-HTP, and Zen+. The first five are part of the 88Herbs Zero Series: a line of single-ingredient products with no additive and other agents.
Sleep-X and Zen+ are made with the same commitment and promise, although they are different because they are proprietary blends that contain different components.
Sleep and mood improvement seem to be what 88Herbs is built on—and Sleep-X is their flagship dietary supplement for sleep support. How does Sleep-X perform? Is it worth trying out? Let’s find out.
The natural sleep aid contains three amino acids: L-Theanine, Tryptophan and 5-HTP. Other ingredients are Melatonin, Passionflower, Magnesium (in the form of Magnesium Bisglycinate), and Vitamin B3.
Of course, there are also ingredients that are included for non-medicinal purposes: microcrystalline cellulose, hypromellose and silicon dioxide. The first one is an anti-caking agent and texture modifier. The last two are likely what makes up the individual capsules the actual supplement blend is packed into.
How Do 88Herbs Sleep-X’s Ingredients Help You Sleep Better?
88Herbs Sleep-X is a potent dietary supplement that helps you relax, fall asleep faster, sleep soundly all throughout the night, and wake up the next morning feeling energized.
In other words, it’s meant to regulate your sleep-wake cycle and help you achieve or maintain good sleep health. Because of this, the Canadian sleep aid formulation also works well when you use it after experiencing jet lag.
Sleep with 88Herbs Sleep-X is meant to be deep, restorative and pleasant; which is why there are components of the blend that address more than just sleep onset and duration. Like other melatonin-based sleep aids in the market, Sleep-X contains ingredients that target physical and mental blocks that keep you from slipping into slumber.
Many of these ingredients are found in other sleep aids that we’ve already reviewed! Let’s look at each component in detail.
- Melatonin is produced naturally within the human body and is used to keep our circadian rhythm functional and healthy. The trouble is that we usually need more of it because the sleep-deprived modern human has habits that interfere with natural production of the hormone. This is why we have trouble falling asleep quickly in the first place. To remedy that, each capsule of 88Herbs Sleep-X contains 1.5 mg of premium grade Melatonin.
- L-Theanine is found in tea (Camellia sinensis leaves) and is known for its calming properties. It’s one of the most common amino acids used for sleep and mood enhancing supplements.
- 5-HTP is likewise commonly found in and extracted from a plant—African shrub Griffonia simplicifolia—although it also occurs naturally in the body as a byproduct of L-Tryptophan, which we’ll get to in a moment. 5-HTP’s function is to raise serotonin levels in the human body. In controlled doses, 5-HTP not only provides a feeling of optimism and happiness, but also a pleasant feeling of sleepiness.
- Tryptophan is more familiar than you think; it’s the amino acid that’s partly responsible for that drowsy feeling you get when you eat a good amount of Thanksgiving turkey. In Sleep-X, it complements 5-HTP and Melatonin well. According to 88Herbs, it’s there for less sleep interruptions and less grogginess upon waking up.
- Passionflower is the only real herbal element featured here. This is very unlike most sleep aids that feature Valerian Root; although Source Naturals NightRest and Vitafusion Melatonin do also include Passionflower in their formulations. Passionflower is a North American native plant that is well-known and well-studied as a muscle relaxant, sedative, and anxiolytic. In this formulation, it works to quiet the mind and body; in order to help you sleep soundly.
- Magnesium in the form of Magnesium Bisglycinate demonstrate great bioavailability, which means it’s absorbed more effectively by the human body. Magnesium deficiency is actually very common, which is dangerous as this element works to increase levels of GABA—the amino acid that works as a anxiety, fear and stress regulator. In fact both L-Theanine and Passionflower work to promote GABA activity, too.
- Vitamin B3 in the form of Niacinimide is also a very bioavailable variant. While Niacin can be synthesized—along with serotonin—by the liver from amino acid Tryptophan, this added Vitamin B3 is still useful. A deficiency of this vitamin may affect cell synthesis and breakdown in the body, and may encourage anxiety, depression and even insomnia.
Is 88Herbs Sleep-X Allergy-Friendly, Vegan or Vegetarian?
88Herbs Sleep-X is made up of amino acids, herbal extracts, a hormone, a vitamin, and a mineral. They come in vegetarian capsules, too. Taking all that into consideration, the answer to all three is probably yes—but don’t take our word for it.
88Herbs’ Zero Series products are definitely all three, but Sleep-X isn’t part of that line. We believe the distinction is because of the addition of microcrystalline cellulose, which can be viewed as a “filler” ingredient by some, and nothing else.
At best, we can confirm that 88Herbs Sleep-X is vegetarian.
What to Consider Before Taking 88Herbs Sleep-X
If you are looking for a mild sleep aid, you may want to consider a haling one dose—or maybe trying out one of 88Herbs’ other products instead. Sometimes trouble sleeping has less to do with a Melatonin imbalance, and more to do with your mental state. 88Herbs Sleep-X addresses both instances, but what if you just want to improve your mood and relax, so you can fall asleep on your own?
This is likely exactly what 88Herbs was anticipating when they first came out with their Zero Series. Three Sleep-X components—L-Theanine, Magnesium Bisglycinate, and 5-HTP—are available as single-ingredient supplements under the 88Herbs brand. You may want to check them out if Melatonin or a multi-ingredient blend is not what you are looking for at the moment.
Is 88Herbs Sleep-X Safe for Children?
There is no warning against the use of this product by children, but please do consult a doctor before giving this to a child.
Consult a doctor before taking Sleep-X yourself, too. It helps that 88Herbs explains each component in detail and has literature about their processes that you can read on their official website. However, a healthcare professional that is familiar with you and your medical history is the best person to evaluate the potential effects of anything you add to your daily routine, positive or negative.
88Herbs recommends a dosage of one or two capsules before bedtime. Instructions are included for the supplement’s use as a jet lag remedy, too: “Once a day at the new bedtime”, until your sleep pattern adjusts to the new time zone.
This suggests that the brand does not market Sleep-X for long term use, which is comforting. Many counterparts indirectly do this, but sleep aids should never become a habit! Otherwise, its effectiveness will suffer. Good sleep hygiene should always be the cornerstone of good sleep quality, not medication.
All the typical warnings apply, and should be expected. After dosing, do not operate machinery or drive. And while this doesn’t appear on the label, it’s worth following, as well: Don’t use if you are pregnant, nursing, or suffering from a medical condition—especially one that requires maintenance medication.
There are no side effects noted, either on the official website or in the handful of customer reviews we found online.
Because the brand and product are so new, it’s not unnatural to have a lack of information about this elsewhere—but the official website should at least mention something about it.
The real problem lies in the lack of an extensive 88Herbs FAQ. While there is content about the ingredients and the formulation, there is no quick way to look for details at a glance.
How Effective Is 88Herbs Sleep-X?
Customer reviews are middling to positive.
It is important to note here that we based this on Amazon customer reviews—of which Sleep-X has just a hair above a dozen—as there are no reviews or comments on the brand’s online store.
What Are Common 88Herbs Sleep-X Complaints?
There are no specific complaints. Most negative reviews simply said that the product didn’t work as intended, or was not strong enough.
Where Can You Find 88Herbs Sleep-X?
You can purchase 88Herbs Sleep-X on the brand’s official website, as they have an online store. 88Herbs products are also listed for purchase on Amazon.
There is no physical store locator on the brand’s website. Sleep-X and other 88Herbs products seem to only be available online, or at least harder to find otherwise.
What to Expect from the Maker of 88Herbs Sleep-X
While there is a wealth of information on what 88Herbs is about, there’s not much online about the parent company, BB&G Health. We’re not able to evaluate them based on anything other than what 88Herbs tells us through their website, and that’s not a lot.
88Herbs posts information about their products and the ingredients and processes behind them, but not much about themselves. On one hand, this means that they let the products speak for themselves. On the other, this means that there’s no added come-on for potential customers that want to be very sure about what they put into their bodies.
There’s no press release, no “in your face” marketing, or even information about the company founders to add to your decision-making process. This is bothersome for us, as we typically put a lot of stock into company reputation and transparency.
What Quality Assurance Does 88Herbs Sleep-X Go Through?
88Herbs states that they search across the globe to find the purest, best quality raw materials to put into their products. They oversee and have control over the whole supply chain, from farm to manufacturing facility to final product.
While there are no quality assurance details available, 88Herbs is GMP certified—which is in accordance with the FDA—and recognized by the Canadian Health Food Association.
How Is 88Herbs Customer Support?
Customer Support is good enough. No live chat or very active social media accounts, but there are toll-free numbers and an email. There’s even a contact form on the official website.
The best part about 88Herbs customer service is the 30-day money back guarantee.
While not the best in the industry—some competitors offer a lifetime guarantee—it’s a great way to encourage customers who may be on the fence and unsure about ordering something from a new brand.
To avail of the guarantee, all you need to do is contact 88Herbs and send back the product you didn’t like within 30 days of receiving it. While you do incur shipping costs to send the product back to Canada, you will get a full refund of the total order plus original shipping cost.
As of this writing, the price point for one bottle on the official website is 26.45 CAD, or $21.20 in US currency. On Amazon, the same can be bought for $18.95.
88Herbs Sleep-X comes in a bottle containing 30 capsules—enough for two weeks or one month of continuous use, depending on your preferred dosage.
If you find the formulation very applicable to your sleep health needs, by all means try it—but know that there are far less expensive options. It is nowhere near noteworthy or innovative enough to pick over a tried, tested and reliable sleep aid.
What we like the most about 88Herbs is their approach to the whole dietary supplement industry. They seem to lead with their product line, and not with their brand or company reputation. This is a little difficult to do if you’re not an established name, but noteworthy because it follows that there’s much trust and confidence in the products.
However, we would appreciate more information about the company and about their practices. The small number of customer reviews is also a little alarming, though we don’t know if that’s simply because of a lack of marketing savvy.
While Sleep-X is relatively new and a little bit more expensive than its counterparts, there is a 30-day money back guarantee that you can fall back on if you find that you aren’t satisfied. Considering the price point and the specific instructions of the guarantee, Sleep-X is an attractive option especially for Canadian and other North American residents–but not so much otherwise.